by ITAgility on October7, 2012
Presentation on leading practices for optimizing Facebook newsfeed posts.
by ITAgility on Mar 05, 2012
Presentation on best practices to use when converting your Facebook page to the new Timeline format.
Facebook timeline for_brands — Presentation Transcript
1. Facebook Timeline forBrandsSummary of Facebook Changes ImpactingBrand Pages
2. Timeline is a new format for brand page profiles that willimpact all Facebook brand pages on March 30th. • Timeline is a profile page design that Facebook first introduced for personal profiles in September 2011. • Timeline changes the existing default profile from a list of a most recent updates, to a complete history of the brand on Facebook including photos, videos, status updates, and other milestones. • On February 29, 2012, Facebook announced that it would make the Timeline format available for brands. • Brands may opt-in to change their profiles now or will be automatically converted to the new format by March 30th
3. Some brands have fully embraced timeline and added acomplete history and major milestones for their brand. http://www.facebook.com/cocacola 2
4. The new cover image is 851 pixels wide and 315 pixelshigh with Facebook guidelines on cover image usage. Facebook issued guidelines that cover images must not contain: • Price or purchase information, such as "40% off" or "Download it at our website". • Contact information, such as web address, email, mailing address or other information intended for your Pages “About Section”http://www.facebook.com/CelebBistro • References to user interface elements, such as Like or Share, or any other Facebook site features. • Calls to action, such as "Get it now" or "Tell your friends".
5. Application tabs are now highlighted center stage versusthe prior left-sash location. • The custom tab application icons are much• The Profile Picture (180 larger at 111 pixels wide and 74 pixels high pixels x 180 pixels) is • The tab icons now appear under the cover set to a fixed location photo and remains the image • The Photos icon displays first attached to each brand • Brands may control the next three application page post icon positions • A drop down arrow selector provides access to http://www.facebook.com/CelebBistro additional applications (up to 12 apps)
6. Brands may now pin a post to the top of the newsfeedarea to highlight a specific post. • Click the “pencil” icon in the upper right corner of a post to pin the post to the top of the newsfeed (select “pin to top”) • Brands can pin one post at a time, for up to 7 days. • A pinned post will appear in two places on the Timeline: as the top item, and further below chronologically. • Once unpinned, a post remains on the brand’s Timeline based on chronology. • There is no visual history displaying a brand’s past-pinned posts. • You may “unpin” a post any time http://www.facebook.com/CelebBistro
7. Brands may also “highlight” a post which expands thepost to fill the width of the newsfeed (click the star). http://www.facebook.com/CelebBistro
8. The application space is much wider at 810 pixels wideversus the prior constraint of 520 pixel width. 520 pixel width 290 pixels wider We 810 pixel width recommend increasing banners to the full 810 pixel width http://www.facebook.com/CelebBistro
9. Timeline eliminates the prior admin feature of selecting adefault landing tab for non fan visitors. • The “Default Landing Tab” is eliminated by Timeline • Facebook ads can still set a destination tab or landing tab • All visitors to the page will see Timeline first (unless a Facebook ad is used to control the destination tab)
10. Facebook ads are still able to designate a destinationlanding tab for the ad. • Facebook ads can still set a destination tab or landing tab • Curated content tabs will still work great as landing tabs for Facebook ads
11. A new panel is available for admins to manage the pageand fan interaction. • The admin panel provides quick access to manage your page, create Facebook ads and “hide” the panel as desired. • Fans can now send you messages directly and you can reply to messages from the admin panel • Message feature may be used for customer service interaction
12. Brands may post milestones to their timeline. • The newsfeed provides a new type of “milestone” post • Milestones will be added to the brand timeline
13. Facebook has one bug to fix that impacts “like” gating orthe display of new events after a visitor “likes” your page. https://developers.facebook.com/bugs/228778937218386 NOTE: THIS IS NOW FIXED - (3/13/2012)
14. Facebook also announced major new changes toFacebook ads and content distribution. • Facebook announced a new product, Reach Generator, that lets you pay money to guarantee that your newsfeed Posts get to at least 75% of your fans each month. • Several new ad units were announced, where the content you post on your Page is the ad unit. In effect, any post on Facebook can now be an ad. • There will be two types of ads: • “Premium Ads” - Facebook announced that brands can now turn any posts into premium ads. The premium ads will appear in four places – news feed, right-hand side, mobile newsfeed and on the logout page. • “Marketplace Ads” - These are the ads that appear on the right-hand side of your current Facebook experience. These are bought directly through Facebooks self-serve portal or, for many larger brands, through third-party ads platforms that utilize the Facebook API.
15. Brands should upgrade to the new Timeline format inadvance of the automatic conversion on March 30th. • Making updates to optimize your page for Timeline will look much better than Facebook auto converting your brand page • Like most things, the new Timeline format for brand pages takes some getting used to • Overall, there are several positive changes with cover photos, pinned posts and a much wider application landscape • The Facebook guide to pages is available at: http://www.facebook.com/about/pages • You may also access the Facebook course on pages at: http://www.learnfacebookpages.com/